Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Dear Elli September 9, 2008

Baby girl,
I have no idea where to begin. First, I am so thankful for the time that we had with you. For fear that people will think we are more than we are I have to be honest and peel away the layers and get down to my heart.
I woke up this morning so sick I could hardly get out of bed. I was literally neasous. I thought, "I need to get up and open my books but.......I couldn't even think that far ahead of the moment." I got up and went to check on your mommy to make sure she was okay and give her meds to her. We talked with Uncle Shane for a minute and went to run an errand.
Your big sis called to tell us she needed a chocolate doughnut. I think she really wanted to talk about you but didn't want to do it over the phone. Mommy and I talked while we waited outside Harps. We had to just go in because we were cryind and knew we would never make it in if we didn't just do it then.
We got your sis' doughnuts and went out to see Papa, went and got food that the Francis' made for us and then we went to get bubby and big sissy at Grammy's house.
When we left there we went to see your body's grave. It was as hard to pull up today as it was the other day. It just doesn't seem right for there to be a grave for such a little body. Bubby got out of the van and ran out toward the grave and asked where his baby was. However brief you were here, he hasn't forgotten you and we will be sure to remind him of you. Sissy and daddy talked about your kidneys and how mean satan is. She informed mommy and daddy that she is going to pray for another little sister, that is calm and healthy! She said satan is not going to give your new sister any "owies" on her kidneys or anywhere else. When we left, eventhough you aren't there anymore, it still seems so unnatural to leave your little body there...waiting for night to come. It seemed even more heartbreaking as winter is on its way and it will be cold soon. We love taking care of your bubby and sissy and taking care of you would have been a joy as well.
After we left there, bubby wouldn't be quiet. It is good he is so funny 'cause we needed to laugh. We got to Harrison and ate lunch, nobody was going to make it otherwise. Bubby was such a gentleman, he opened the doors for the ladies and held mommy's hand to the door, so she wouldn't fall. Daddy made it halfway through lunch before I could hold the tears anymore. I lost my appetite as I thought about how we left Clarksville with you in mommy's tummy and now we had to go back home without you in our arms. Your mommy's arms started hurting to hold you.
Fast forward a few long hours and we are now home. Daddy tried to get everything unloaded and mommy came in. I was trying to hurry and let mommy go to your empty crib by herself. I think she needed a minute. We held eachother and cried.
Mommy's tummy is beginning to go down. This will be the first time that I sleep in our bed and don't feel your little kicks on my back and backside. I won't be able to feel mommy's tummy and fell your movements. I won't be able to make crazy noises and see mommy's tummy get all funky.
I am sure your day was much brighter and full of love. Like the song says, you have probably seen Noah's Ark, probably walked on those streets of gold and most importantly you have held the hand of Jesus' and felt the scars that made it possible for us to see you again one day. This we know and cling to, otherwise, it would just hurt too bad to go on.
One cool thing is, I laid my cheek on sissy's arm....and it was cool, it reminded me of your cheeks that night you left us. Eveytime I feel a cool sensation on my cheek, I will always think of you and close my eyes and pretend I have you again for a second.
Well, I need to get mommy to bed for a little rest. I love you and haven't forgotten you. My heart hurts to hold you and I can't imagine how bad mommy's must hurt. Please ask Jesus to make it a cold winter, so bubby and sissy will have lots of cold cheeks.
Daddy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, glad you stopped by! Feel free to leave a message!